How To Create a Twitter Account and Set Up Profile
Step 1: Navigate To Twitter
Go to http://twitter.com and click the signup button to begin the process
Step 2: Add Your Basic Account Info
You will be taken to a form where you will be asked to add a variety of information.
• Add your full name so people can find you by name.
• Include a user name. For business accounts this is usually a business’ name, domain name, or some variation. For the purpose of this how-to, we’ll use tools4teachers.
• Choose a strong password. Most places suggest one containing 7 or more letters (upper and lower case), numbers and special characters like an asterisk, exclamation point, etc.
• An email where you can receive notifications such as direct messages from followers and notifications that you have a new follower. (All of these can be configured in your account.)
• Read and agree to the terms of service.
• Click the button to create your account.
• Fill in the captcha form and submit.
If there were no errors or problems with the info submitted there is a green check mark to the right. If there were errors, the user name or email was already in use, etc., you would see a message and asked to correct the errors.
Next you’ll be taken to a page where you can find select topics of interest, find friends, and search for people.
Step 3: Find Sources
To browse topics of interest, click on the categories listed and “follow” accounts that are related. If you want to skip this step for the moment, you can click the next button at the bottom of the page. You will be able to return to this later.
Topics of Interest
Click on the listed topics or categories to find a few accounts you may want to follow. Depending upon whether this is a business account or a personal account, you may want to check out a variety of complementary categories.
Find Contacts To Follow
Find contacts from your email or linkedin lists. Just supply your email and password to search your lists for addresses that are also used on Twitter. Then follow these friends. To skip this step, click the next button at the bottom of the page. You will be able to return to this later.
Search For People
To look for people by name or business name, just enter the name in the search box and click the search button.
Click the next step button to complete the basic setup process.